UF Flexible Learning has courses that anyone can take

UF Flexible Learning’s start-anytime courses are open to anyone looking for an extra course, for any reason. Admissions to the University of Florida is not required to enroll in our courses (that means we don’t require transcripts, transient student forms or anything!) just simply register for the course you want and get started in no time.

Of course, you will want to check with your academic advisor to ensure that the credits you earn from the University of Florida will transfer. There are just a few other considerations for students enrolled at other schools.

Florida Residents

In-state status is only for those residents who reside in the state permanently with established legal domicile in Florida. Permanent Florida residency is demonstrated by the absence of ties to any other state and establishment of a bona fide domicile in Florida.

Find more information by following this link, Dependent vs. Independent Students, to determine dependency status prior to submitting residency documentation.

Please provide two or more of the following documents with dates that evidence the 12-month qualifying period prior to enrollment.to support your claim as a Florida resident for tuition purposes:

  • A Florida Voter’s Registration Card
  • Florida driver’s license
  • Florida State identification card
  • Florida Vehicle registration
  • Proof of permanent home in Florida occupied as the claimants primary residence
  • Proof of homestead exemption in Florida
  • Official transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years, if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months
  • Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12-month period
  • Florida Property Tax Receipt

These documents may be used in conjunction with one of the required documents listed above:

  • A declaration of domicile in Florida in accordance with s.222.17, Florida Statutes
  • Florida professional or occupational license
  • Florida incorporation
  • Document evidencing verifiable family ties to a Florida resident
  • Proof of permanent home in Florida occupied as the claimants primary residence
  • Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization
  • Any other documentation that supports your request for resident status
  • Utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments
  • Lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments
  • Official state, federal or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida

The Florida Residency Declaration for Tuition Purposes will also need to be submitted with your Florida Residency documents.

You will need to complete the Florida Residency Declaration for Tuition Purposes form and submit two Florida Residency document by emailing your copies to learn@dce.ufl.edu . Additionally, if you have not engaged with the university for 12 months, we will need to recheck residency.

For more information on establishing Florida Residency, visit the UF Registrar's website here.

Please do not send original copies, and documents must prove at least one year of residency in the state of Florida.

Florida Prepaid

Several students in Florida have access to Florida Prepaid and those funds can be used for UF Flexible Learning as well! During the registration process, you will have the opportunity to enter in your plan number.

The total shown will be a pre-authorization hold for the entire amount; however, your card will not be charged until we receive all necessary documents. After you complete the registration process, your fees will be adjusted by our staff.

You will be charged the balance of what is not covered by your Florida Prepaid plan. Florida Prepaid will be billed for the remaining tuition balance. You may contact Florida Prepaid at 800-552-4723 if you have any questions about your plan.


Other Considerations

  • Former UF students, who previously attended UF in a degree-seeking status, but did not subsequently earn a bachelor's degree, are not eligible for non-degree registration for re-admission to UF. You must first apply to be re-admitted to UF and be accepted before registering for the course.
  • Students not enrolled at the University of Florida who have academic goals such as graduation or applying to graduate school are strongly advised to complete their course(s) 14 days prior to their personal deadline. This is to ensure the grades will be posted in time for transcript requests.
  • Students, who have enrolled with us before, should ensure that they have cleared academic or financial holds at ONE.UF. Holds need to be cleared prior to our being able to complete your registration.
  • You should check with your academic advisor if you are repeating a Flexible Learning course to see what effect the grade has on your GPA.
  • Course Cancel: A tuition refund is granted within 30 days of enrollment; a request must be in writing and may be sent by email. Include in your email, your full name and the course you wish to cancel. The refund will be in the form of credit to that card. No refunds are granted after 30 days.
  • Dropping a course: To drop a course, you need to email the Flexible Learning office at learn@dce.ufl.edu with a request to drop within 14 weeks of the date of enrollment. Include in the email the UF ID and a statement regarding the course the student wants to drop. It is the student's responsibility to verify that all drop requests have been received by the Flexible Learning office within the allotted time. The course grade will appear as "W" on a UF transcript.

Students who have been denied admission to UF

Anyone who has been denied admission to UF will be asked to verify in writing that they are transferring any credits earned through Flexible Learning to another university.

Ready to Register?

Find a Course